Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Favorite Things...

This is the first in a series of posts about my favorite things.
The latest- greatest thing at our house are these Freeze and Eat Fruit Chillers, that come in tubes. I found them in the grocery isle with the canned fruit, raisins, etc... I have been trying to phase out foods that have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them. Some of you are already aware of the dangers and are doing the same. I follow Dr Mercola's newsletters and he discusses the hidden dangers in foods.
I don't claim to be 'healthy' and 'organic' all the time. I don't want to give you that impression. We do enjoy a hot dog or bratwurst once in a while!
Getting back to the topic at hand...
I was looking for a healthy alternative to popsicles, one without HFCS. We have made our own popsicles out of 100% juice before in Tupperware frozen pop containers. Those are nice too, but tend to crystallize and 'cut' the kids tongues when they lick them. Fruit Chillers are a Frozen Fruit Sorbet. Ingredients are pear puree, pear juice, sugar, strawberry puree, natural flavor, ascorbic acid (vit C), dextrose (sugar), pectin, guar gum (thickener) and Red 40. Now I'm not quite sure about the Red #40 yet, need to research that a little more, but for now these chillers suit our purpose. They aren't exactly cheap, so I found coupons online. That makes them a little more reasonable for my budget. Try them! My kids can't get enough of them and are bummed that we are out! Time to get more...

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those sound yummy!! I also try to stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup - stinky blood sugar problems!! I bet these are such a nice treat on a hot and humid Upstate, NY summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids like them too! Bought them on occasion last year. They sure are't cheap. Been thinking lately of making our own pops around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi- I should have out added a link in for coupons. I have printed off 2 that are $1 each. So the boxes are $2.oo each and I hv a $1 coupon each, then I pay $1.00 a box. For healthy snacks- it was worth it to me.
    Without the coupons- a little pricey...

    ReplyDelete