Thursday, April 15, 2010

Baby Leggs



This was my first attempt at sewing my own baby leg warmers. I'm addicted now. I can't wait for some close friend to have a baby so I can make these again. They are so simple and yet, satisfying.
I was first introduced to them a year or so ago by my friend Lauren. Her daughter was wearing some at church.

These are great for babies that wear cloth diapers- or nappies, as some call them. Cloth can be bulky and you change cloth more often than a disposable, so you need easy access. Also good for crawling little ones, as it protects their knees and keeps them cleaner.
How did you make them, you ask?
  • They are made from ladies knee high socks or little girl knee high socks- depending on the length you want.
  • Cut off the heel and toes- making the cuts straight across. Saving the 'foot' part to use as the 'cuff' for the leg warmer.
  • Then you fold the 'foot' part in half, so that the nice fabric side is facing out.
  • Pull the leg section thru the folded section so there are 3 edges at one end of the sock.
  • Line up your edges and pin. That is where you will sew your 5/8 seam.
  • Stich the edges together and turn the folded part back over - It is now the 'cuff'!

This website has a good tutorial with pictures. Why reinvent the wheel?

http://everythingyourmamamade.com/2008/01/21/make-your-own-baby-leg-warmers/

Normally baby leg warmers sell for $12 online. Even at Target they are $10-$12. I made all three for $5!!!











3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you were able to whip off a pair (or three)! Aren't they jusy so easy?
    When I make mine I like the 'cuff' to be a little more snug, so I take in the foot part about 1/2 or so before folding and attaching it. One more step in 3 step process isn't too bad, right? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sould say "1/2 inch or so" ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome Bev! I got to the point of hating baby stockings, cuz you have to change so often.

    ReplyDelete