Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Gluten-free journey cont...









These items are the Staples of my diet. I eat much more, these are just a few of my "must-haves".

Breakfast

  • Rice and beans- I make a large batch of beans and brown rice, enough for the week. I cook the beans on the stove after they have soaked overnight and my favorite spice I add to the bean broth is cumin. This dish is easy to heat up in the morning and great with cheese!

  • Corn tortillas with scrambled eggs- this is also good with cheese.
    Yogurt and gf granola- I make my own yogurt now with Lactaid milk (VERY EASY!!!) . It has no sugar. I add honey and vanilla.

  • Toast- using gf bread- Homemade. Either a mix (Gluten free Pantry) or by scratch.

  • Gf cereal or granola with Lactaid milk and either honey or fruit on top.

Lunch

  • Tuna with mayo and Kettle chips.

  • Grilled sandwich using gf bread, lunchmeat, and cheese.

  • Baked potato with field greens on the side.

Dinner

  • Gf pasta and sauce. A small pot boiling for me and a large pot for the non-gf family!

  • potatoes or rice with the main dish- usually chicken or meat. ( We bought a quarter of free-range organic Beefalo cow- for the second year in a row)

Snacks (My personal favorite!!!)

  • Popcorn!!! Popped on the stove in canola oil with dry ranch dressing mix sprinkled on top.

  • Tortilla chips with melted cheese

  • Tapioca pudding- another BIG fave! Homemade on the stove.

  • Ice Cream- light- with peanut butter

Seasonal

  • Tomato sliced with fresh mozzarella and gf toast
  • Yellow or green squash coins sauteed with dill seasoning
  • Roasted root vegetables

I cant complete this post without mentioning my Ultimate Favorite of All time Dessert!!!

Pam's gf Dark Chocolate Passover Cake!!! Like fudge on a fork. To die for- AND Gluten Free.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - our diets are SOO similar. Hey - can you send me Pam's fudgy delicious cake recipe??? Oh and had to tell you what I've been making lately that's sooo yummy. Mix next-day mashed potatoes with the gluten-free flour mix, two eggs, little bit of milk and voila...potato pancakes for breakfast OR for dinner. AWESOME!

    Bets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, just made carrot pancakes that were super yummy for breakfast from left-over carrot soup. Just added the gluten-free flour and a bit more milk, with baking powder. You have to add enough flour for them to be thick and not runny when you're flipping them. Try it - had it this morning with maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a gf diet actually sound pretty good! I like pretty much all that you've mentioned! Can't have the pb though... :(

    I want the recipe for Pam's cake too! I think my mom would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete