Monday, April 11, 2011

St. Patrick, Mosquitoes, Ginger Ale, and more!








We have renewed vigor and are moving forward with momentum! There were many days I didn't feel like doing any work... and so we didn't! But now, with the end in site, we press forward!

We got a slow start with history this year, and it took us awhile to cover Ancient Egypt. I just wanted to be thorough and incorporate a timeline with Biblical history and figures as well. They completed a lapbook, which you see here in my pictures.

In March, for the first time ever we studied St. Patrick. With the help of library books and a literature unit study, St Patrick's Day in the morning. They all enjoyed this one as we played Sweetshop (involving treats and money), tried ginger ale from real glass bottles, and made charts from the math we did with jellybeans!

Aside from our regular Math and English studies I plan on doing some fun, less structured, unit studies mostly involving science and nature study.Spring is such a great time for getting outside and doing nature study with note booking and journals.

As you may have guessed, we studied seeds, parts of the seed, and the young plant. As part of studying plants, we learned more about the Sun, its parts, and how it affects our world.

I am excited to start the Outdoor Hour Challenge: Crop Plants. It has activities related to Clover, Corn, Strawberries, Pumpkins, Tomatoes, to name a few. I have purchased notebook pages to go along with this challenge. Here is a sample, in case some of you are interested.

Maybe I am being too ambitious, but I also want to do this lesson from the Outdoor Hour Challenge Summer series: Mosquitoes and World of Smell.

We only have about 5 weeks left of school, so I better get a move on!


No comments:

Post a Comment