Sunday, April 10, 2011

Seedlings wk 3

As you can see, one of our bean plants has taken off!! I don't know what to do with it... Should I replant it in a bigger pot?... as its too early to be outdoors. Maybe I should take a small wooden dowel and stake it? Would it start to climb the dowel? I don't know... My starter pots are shallow, they cant possibly make for a good root system? Then we have our newest additions... Aren't they so cute? We have pumpkins seeds in them. I saw it in the Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Comstock and fell in love with it! (As a side note, I follow another homeschooling mom's blog which uses that book for the Outdoor Hour Challenge and many other activities such as nature journals! ) I really hope the seeds do well in my sweet egg pots. A friend of mine asked me what the benefit was to them... I'm not sure. She wondered if it added extra calcium to the soil once you transplant them. I saved the shells one morning when I was cooking eggs for breakfast. Carefully I cracked each one. Then took a needle and pierced the shells along the crack lines. That made it easy to take the tops off. If anyone has any helpful hints on raised gardens, Id appreciate the suggestions! Mike has staked out the area and is beginning to price lumber. Its the fill that will be expensive we feel, and are trying to cut down on cost. I suggested we look into the town soil and get a truckload dumped. What have you done?

No comments:

Post a Comment