Monday, June 14, 2010

#4 Favorite food- Quinoa

I recently discovered this wholesome grain and wished I had years ago!! Similar to buckwheat, but you cook it like rice. The seeds and leaves on this plant are edible, but mostly what you see in he stores are the seeds. Spinach and beets are also in this plant family.
Quinoa has a nutty, earthy flavor to it. A richer flavor that you just can't get from brown rice. To cook it you first rinse the saponins off which give a bitter flavor (however I usually skip this step and don't notice the bitterness). Then cook like rice- 1c quinoa to 2c water. Boil, cover and simmer till done. Unlike rice, it is a complete protein. Truely a superfood!
I was buying it in the box, but went thru it too fast (as you can imagine with 7 people eating in this house). Then I found it at my natural foods store in bulk! LOVE IT!!
Click here for some great recipes! And here to learn how to cook quinoa (keen-wa).

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you JUST wrote about this. I just discovered quinoa at the health food store near me, but I didn't buy any b/c I didn't have any cash with me. But it looked yummy and he said to cook it just like rice. I'm excited to try it, and thanks for the recipes!

    Bets

    (p.s. that was me that deleted my comment b/c I forgot to leave my name)

    ReplyDelete